Re: On the subject of edges...

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:31:52 -0800

> To bring a new perspective to the conversation about edges,
> I was concidering the point at which one applies the success
> multiplier. If edges result in a large "handicap" for the attacker
> (eg stone skin creature and bare fists) the attacker must bid
> incredibly high, and the level of success will have a minimal
> result. On the other hand, with a high success and lots of edge,
> the attacker gets increased usability of his/her edges.

As far as barehand vrs tough armor, umm, what's the problem? Having broken my hand slugging a telephone pole (long story, I was rather upset at the time), I have no problem with a high bid having minimal effect if the opponent has good "armor", and thus a bad effect on the actor if he loses. Now, if I attacked that mean ol' telephone pole with an axe...

(actually, that's *really* an example of using the wrong ability in the situation - the telephone pole didn't really have tough "armor", just "Shrug off stupid human fists" at a w3 level...)

> Since edges are already quite cheap compared to bonus-to-TN
> augmentation, I was considering multiplying the bid with the
> success multiplier first, and applyin the edge(s) on top of
> that. This'd emphasize skills, not equipment (bare-fisted
> fighting! Yea!) and would make TN-bonuses a slightly more
> viable option.
>
> Any comments?

While an edge is "cheap" when compared to Bonus, the bonus is (usually) a better deal - it gives you AP if applied before the contest starts, it makes it easier to *win* exchanges, and is usable at all times, not just when you win the exchange.

Roderick