Subject: augments n' fightin'

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 17:39:43 +0000

> From: "Russell Hoyle" <rsimonh_at_...>
>1. When I read through AR, I see reference to 'tough 18' for the Uzdo
>Warrior, I wonder how exactly that is used....
>In a fight, I understand that 'tough' might be used to perhaps augment or
>provide an edge to a close combat ability, would this be done as an
>'unrelated' action during the fight?

I'd allow tough to increase defensive rank, resist disease, and heal ("shrug off") minor wounds on self. It is specifically mentioned as being used to make final/last ditch actions.

>2. Also, could such an ability be used to apply a handicap to your opponent?
>Can abilities be used in this manner?

Generally, this is frowned on by purists, but you can do this if you like.

>3. Take the example of Kallai fighting a Zombie....he switches to using a
>fight undead feat (17) rather than his close combat (5W).
>Why on earth would you do that? What is the advantage? I know its supposed
>to be 'better' for zombie-squashing, but how?
>Was he penalised (improvisation penalty) for using Close combat against the
>Zombie? Does the Zombie's armour edge (if he had one) not apply when the
>magic is used instead?

Is this on the Hero Wars FAQ? The main reason is to change the resisting ability (IMO). I would rule that the Zombie would have to use magic resistance or the default 14 (in place of close combat).

A narrator may also rule it ignores armour edges (I probably would).

>Should I be sending these very basic questions elsewhere?
>I hate to waste your time with this stuff (which probably has been discussed
>before)....

No, but you might want to check the Hero Wars FAQ.

Thom