Re: Re: Two weapons (ancient topic)

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 12:16:03 +0300 (EET DST)

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Jeff wrote:

> > On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Gian Gero wrote:
>
> > (Then again, I played a Drow weaponmaster in a live game. I charged
> > knife-artist after I had lost my longsword. He had time to throw two
> > throwing knives at me while I charged him uphill. They both came
> > beautifully towards my chest, and I cut them from the air with a
> short
> > ninja-to style weapon I had as a backup... twohandedly. I think the
> game
> > inspired me, because it's not something I can normally do)
>
> Anyone who's watched, say, a circus knife thrower, would realize that
> theres' little comparison between the speed and accuracy of a boffer
> weapon thrown and a real throwing knife.
>
> I spent a lot of time throwing rather 1 lb hatchets into logs when
> working as a geologist to pass the time. I suspect parrying
> something like that might be a little less trival than you assume.

Actually I was rather amazed at having done that. I do practise with heavy _rubber_ knives at the d�j�, and those babies fly almost as fast as the real things.

> > But mostly no defence against missiles, except dodging.
>
> Device powered missles? Not really going to be able to dodge those.
> Its pretty hard to see a crossbow bolt coming, I'd be thinking. Not
> unless you've got some sort of zen thing going. Making yourself
> harder to hit when running, that's a bit different but.

You can dodge arrows fired at least 20m away. Point blank, you just have to move and hope the other guy misses.

> That's why many historical accounts finish with shields festooned
> with arrows. Imagine what would happen to the hapless warior without
> a small portable wall to stand behind?
>
> However, I am rather cynical about Live Action experince being equated
> to something like life or death combat. Try moving around after you've
> taken that 'flesh wound.' After getting a serious chunk of my abdomen
> removed rather recently, I fear that mock folks who say they can run
> around blithely while 'incapacitated'.... Let alone fight.

I agree. But finnish live games tend to have rules that equal wound with incapasitation. One hit is all it takes.

> Sadly, this long thread hasn't really produced much in the way of
> rules ideas - only 'my larping is more relevant' comments.
>
> Jeff

Hmm... shall we drop it then? The live-game example was just there as an amusing anecdote anyway, and because slow boffer weapons produce effects that are combatible with the heroic world of HW. Just my humble opinion, of course.

        -Adept