Re: Re: Increasing Large

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 15:20:49 -0500

Gareth Martin says:

>> Paul Bunyon. Anyway, there's a tradition of extra-large heroes.
>
>good point. Hmm - on reflection I'm going to U-turn and agree with
>Benedict - the carpe diem principle. Beware of what you wish for
>and so on - if you want to get in the outhouse, don't spend all your
>HP inflating to the size of a bear. And in fact the character is
>growing need not be a problem either, as this could function as a
>springboard for mythic stories and adventures.

        You know, you might also ask the player to define the ability a little better. Ask them if their character really is 9' tall, or 7' tall and 5' across, or 7' tall, 350lbs and real good at using that mass for leverage. Then apply improvisation modifiers. If a player keeps putting points in Large, ask what that means. Is the character growing? If the character isn't, ask the player what those extra points represent. Basically, make the player do the conceptual work. If they don't want a character the size of a cow, maybe they'll put points elsewhere. Besides, when they want to buy new armor and weapons, you can always augment the cost with their Large. Benkei had to gather 1000 swords to get a smith to forge a weapon he could use, if I remember correctly; heavens alone knows what Paul Bunyon would need....

Peter Larsen