Re: Re: Disciples: 10W relationship with followers

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 18:22:55 -0700

> This leads to a second question. I don't have the book to hand but
> it does mention that the disciple loses all relationships except the
> relationship with the supporters.

He retains the relationshoip to his god (it switches from Devotee to Disciple) and to his supporters

I think that this goes too far.

> I agree that all dependant relationships, ally relationships and
> magical/religious relationships should go, but these should probably
> be replaced with relationships of type Contact - they still know and
> probably like/love/whatever the disciple. It is just that he (non-
> gender specific) cannot be bound by these relationships anymore.

> Adversary relationships should probably stay in place, possibly with
> a mastery added to it if the adversary is a devotee/disciple of a
> deity opposed to the disciple's.

As a general thing, you'll drop Adversay relationships (unless, as you note, your adversary becomes the representation of your god's enemy). You don't have the luxury of hating/disliking/having a rivalry with people your god doesn't care about. By becoming a disciple you've moved into a whole new level of interaction with your god and the world. Everything you do is (or should be) relevent to what your god did.

> I am uncertain of what should happen to follower relationships.

They are lumped into your supporters.

Disciples are extremely rare and dedicated people. We don't expect that they will be a goal for most heroes - by becoming a disciple you are giving up your own chance at Hero/Superherodom and giving yourself fully to your god. It;'s a bit like being a Devotee of a Great God and learning the Secret (going out of play) - your hero will not be remembered as "Joe the Killer of Albino Penguins" and be worshipped after his death, but as "Orlanth Adventurous on Earth".

It isn't the same as RQ's Rune levels at all. It is a submersion of your Self into the Godhead.

RR