Re: Re: Failure at the end of a HQ

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 00:15:20 -0700

> > David began it all:
> >
> > > Plenty of heroquests involve fleeing enemies, but I can't
> > > recollect any myth where the hero has trouble crossing back
> > > to the normal world after a success.

When Inanna gave her ear from the Great Above to the Great Below, she spontaneously descended to the realm of her dark sister Ereshkigal, who stripped Inanna of her wholeness and killed her, hanging the goddess' corpse from a hook.

However, two servants win gifts of life from Ereshkigal, demand Inanna's corpse and resuscitate her with the gifts. I quote from 'The Descent of Inanna', the western world's oldest story -

Inanna was about to ascend from the underworld When the Annuna, the judges of the underworld, seized her. They said:
  "No one ascends from the underworld unmarked    If Inanna wishes to ascend from the underworld,    She must provide someone in her place."

I adapted this myth directly in 'Music of the Spears', a Heortling heroquest I've run at a number of conventions.

Inanna succeeded in her quest of reconciliation with her dark sister, but still had to obey the law of the underworld.

If you'd like to find out who takes Inanna's place, read the wonderful translation 'Inanna Queen of Heaven and Earth' by Diane Wolkstein and Samuel Kramer. I love this book, and recommend it without reservation.

John

nysalor_at_...                 John Hughes

Hige sceal �e heardra, heorte the cenre, mod sceal �e mare, �e ure m�gen lytla�.

[Our hearts must grow resolute, our courage more valiant,  our spirits must be greater, though our strength grows less.]