Re: Doom Rune

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:42:10 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> Mikko wrote:
>
> > > What was this reference? The only doom rune that I know of
> > > is the Fate rune (which was a simple three line asterix)
> > > and I don't see how the Luck Rune could be combined to get
> > > Fate.
>
> >I haven't seen this doom rune either, but if you take the luck rune
> >
> > __ and an inverted luck rune _&#92;/_
> > /&#92;
>
> The trouble is that the legs of the luck rune do not meet together
> (whereas those of the fate rune do), are as long as the horizontal
> line (which is not the case for the fate rune), and are at a
> different angle than that of the fate rune.
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

I think I've seen several variants in offiscial publiscions, since I once spent quite a bit of time trying to find out whether the "legs" of the luck rune are supposed to meet, or to form a table.

I think I ended up preferring them to meet, so that the rune can be seen as representing a seesaw or a set of scales (which can go either way).

The idea of the luck rune being one half of fate also seems very fitting. Mostly Holy Country things these, though.

        -Adept