Re: Doom Rune

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 07:59:18 +0300 (EET DST)

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, John Hughes wrote:

> Mikko:
>
> > Yes it is, but it wouldn't work on the GL-Pharaoh-Heortling runic system,
> > because Luck already has bad luck associated with and Fate is doom, wyrd,
> > etc.

Hey! That wasn't me. I like the luck / bad luck = fate thingie. It was another finn who wrote the above.

> It strikes me that 'wyrd' has a particularly Heortling meaning that is much
> more specific that 'Fate'. Heortlings believe in freedom, and that a man or
> women can be or do *anything* if they give their utmost, take responsibility
> for their mistakes, and act loyally to their kin. 'Wyrd' is not a
> pre-ordained absolute fate: it is your present circumstances, good or bad,
> together with the opportunities to change or advance those circumstances.

I agree. Fate is for asrelian matriatchs of Esrolia IMO, and to them it's the power to lay geases.

"Go then, my stubborn nephew. I shall even loan you the money you need.  But know this: Esrolia is in your blood, and forever will she call you  back. This is where you will always return and this is where you will  die. This is where your daughters will be born, and may it be that they  will not be touched by your madness."

[Matriatch Dunlaith Librum. Responding to her nephew that stayed adamant in his decision to follow his Goldentongue uncle as an apprentice, instead of staying as a Garzeem with the Librum family business]

  ***

Luck and bad luck I use for Tricsters. Blessings and curses.

> A good man or woman can fall on hard times through no fault of their own.
> That's their wyrd - the nearest English phrase in this circumstance is
> probably 'shit happens'. But they are not condemned to this state forever,
> if they extract themselves from said dungpile and act courageously, then
> they can achieve anything - this is also their wyrd, or promise.
<snip>

I agree.

        -Mikko, the Adept