items as items

From: Steve Lieb <steve_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:15:50 -0500

> > I think that a found item that was cemented could easily have a
> starting
> > rating other than 12. So the Sword of Dragon Slaying might be a
> 5w2, or
> > something. Seems a little easier than giving directed experience.
> >
> Agreed. If the party have been on a long and hard adventure to
> retrieve a magic whatever then I don't see why it should be limited
> to 12. The only problem with directing the HP spend is that the
> person who gets the item benefits at the others expense.

Not really a problem, IMO. It's the 'dividing treasure' issue that's faced roleplaying parties since time immemorial. Is the fact that the warrior in the group can spend a HP to cement a magical dragonslaying sword a bit of a ripoff for the guys that are spending HP to marginally increase a skill or something? Sort of. Unless that sword, in her hands, saves everyone's bacon the next adventure when the group is ambushed by dragonkin.

Maybe next time, they encounter a powerful spirit useful mainly for the animist. Then the warrior gets gypped, kind of. I don't think it's that big of a deal. Don't want to share? Adventure alone.

-Steve