Re: Digest Number 573

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:13:13 +0100

> From: "Jarec" <jarec_at_...>
>
>Agreed. If the party have been on a long and hard adventure to
>retrieve a magic whatever then I don't see why it should be limited
>to 12. The only problem with directing the HP spend is that the
>person who gets the item benefits at the others expense. I know that
>in time this should even out but I wonder if this point would be lost
>on a player group. Another point is that not all magic is ability
>based. Just look at the rules on runic metal for other examples of
>this.

I don't think anyone has argued this. What they havbe argued it that ability based magic items are not over-powerful.

As has been noted, followers, allies and extra magic keywords can be far more powerful.

>In fact the write ups of Griselda and Wolfhead on the Glorantha site
>have some very interesting magic item examples.
>
>I think to just say that all magic items are equivalent to abilities
>is seriously crippeling in terms of narrative and play scope.

I think you misunderstood that point. The default for starting magic items and unrelated magic items is as abilities, but needn't be.

Thom