RE: Deadeye

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:51:28 +0100

Please note my extensive use of words like "could" and "if" in the original posting I made. You asked for any ideas of how to use Deadeye in a game. I gave ideas about how I might handle it. I certainly haven't intended to say that the description is in the book is "plain wrong".

I was attempting to give a constructive and useful rationalisation of how you might interpret a Trickster who has, say, Deadeye 12 on his character sheet. This probably wouldn't overcome the magical defences of a starting player hero, let alone a powerful Wind Lord or some such.

Yes, it is less dramatic than suddenly having the ability to strike *anyone* dead with a glance. If that's the way you want to do it, do it that way. I'm not arguing. But bear in mind that - if the ability is gained via a heroquest - the questor stakes one of their other abilities, as with any other heroquest. The Deadeye ability they get is at the same rating as the lower of the ability ratings staked in the quest (assuming they win), as per Narrators Book p41. I would - and I don't have a heroquest written up for this or anything - guess that the HQ is *very* dangerous and if you fail, you almost certainly never come back. Or come back dead. So there is every possibility that the questor would come back with a high rating in Deadeye. In which case, they have suddenly got the ability to strike *anyone* dead at a nice high ability rating.

Bruce