Re: sorcery

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 07:59:53 +1200

At 10:52 PM 6/21/01 +0800, you wrote:
>>Given that a typical order could conceivably have ten (almost
>>complete) grimoires and twice as many single spells in addition
>>to the basic syllabus (numbers are based on the subjects taught
>>at Sog City), presuming that they must restrict themselves to the
>>order's grimoires and then complaining about it is rather
>>counterproductive.

> There are both good in game reasons and game mechanical reasons.
> In game, you probably choose the things you really want at
>the start of play, and concentrate on those.

That does not mean that the sorcerer restricts himself to those grimoires.

>If the primary Grimoires
>of your order (or the ones you started with, if that is different)
>are not what you see as important for your character conception, then
>why did you choose them?

I never said they weren't important, I just merely wondered why you believe that sorcerers (despite all the copious mentions in the rules) normally _restrict_ themselves to those grimoires.

> Game mechanically, its just not very useful, as such
>abilities will be at a starting level and not raise much.

Which makes sense to me.

> And its just not a big deal. In a game when you can just give
>yourself any ability you can name (without even working out what it
>does),

Once again, how does a devotee get more than three affinities?

>>Because a sorcerer has a large number of grimoires and single
>>spells to learn from whereas a devotee only has three
>>affinities?

> Thats not a response that logically follows, its just two
>unrelated facts about it.

Then how would _you_ balance the advantages of sorcery against its disadvantages if you don't believe that grimoires should be more expensive to learn than affinities?

> Remember, you can almost always defend against a magic attack
>with your primary magic abilities. So a sorcerer with a whole bunch
>if grimoires can attack you any number of ways - but they will always
>fail, because their abilities will almost always be lower.

But there is far more to sorcery than just being able to attack people with spells.

> Learning a new Grimoire is completely different to learning
>new feats

I never said they were the same. What I was doing was comparing grimoires to affinities.

>Learning
>a new Grimoire or Affinity is not immediately that useful to an
>experienced character - because its a nice new ability that you will
>always lose with if you use against a regular opponent.

Once again how does a devotee learn a new affinity and keep using his old one? A sorcerer can do this but a devotee can't.

>>So if they are not that big a deal, then what penalty do you
>>think the spells should have instead?

> As for what penalties they should have - oh, stuff like
>requiring talismans, being difficult to learn in a hurry,
>being taught by authoritarian orders, needing rigid emotional
>control - stuff like that.

Given that animists (fetishes, difficult to learn in a hurry) and theists (authoritarian orders, restrictions on behaviour) also suffer most of these penalties, they aren't real differences that could be imposed on sorcerers to balance them out.

--Peter Metcalfe