Re: Kingdom of Sartar

From: doug <douglas.seay_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 14:23:55 -0000

> "Graham, Andrew" wrote:
> >
> > In the time period of HW have all the Clans of Sartar formed into
Tribes
> > and the Tribes into a Kingdom or are the still fragmented like in
KoDP?

In the 1602-1625 period I'd say that the kingdom is dead (the flame went out, didn't it?). Tribes and clans are all that are left. I treat Sartar as a place on a map and a cultural ideal, it isn't a political entity worth mentioning.

Even at its peak, I don't think Sartar was all that centralized. At the most it was like the US with the "Articles of Confederacy" (http://www.elon.edu/gunderj/artcon.htm). Common name, they kinda work together, sorta. Just don't push it too far. The central government certainly doesn't have a big stick to force the clans and tribes in line. But then again, Sartar himself was never known to use violence. The Kingdom has always worked by people deciding that they have more to gain from unity. Buy-in, not force. What a concept.

One thing I want to point out is that you don't have to use the HW period (1621-??) if you don't want to. I always have because I like the barbarians against the <cough: evil> empire spin. Dave Dunham (Mr KoDP himself) doesn't seem to ever run in the 1600s. His website has various bits and pieces of info that could be interesting for someone running in a different time period.

"KYER, JEFFREY" <jeff.kyer_at_c...> wrote:

> 1300's -- Tribes form from the emigree Heorlanders
> 1400's -- Tribes unite into Kingdom of Sartar, bascially a series of
> tribal confederations centered around the cities Sartar built.
> 1610 -- Kingdom falls to Lunar invasion after long, long struggle
>
> Dates are pulled out of my (coffeeless) head and are probably
grossly
> incorrect.

Nope, they're right on. I just glanced at _King_of_Sartar_ last week looking for info about a tribe I will be using. IIRC the dates are

	1325 - first wave (Colymar were pre-first wave)
	1480s - Kingdom of Sartar founded
	1602 - the fall of Boldhome

The direct struggle was kinda short. 1582 was the Battle of Grizzly Peak where the Tarsh-in-Exile group got plowed under and the northern tribes (Alda Chur and Alone areas) joined Sartar. So at most it was 20 years of direct fighting between the LE and Sartar. Note that a good number of Sartarites were helping the Tarsh Exiles, so the line was fuzzy.