Re: Re: Carmenia

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 17:10:46 PDT

K. Paul McDonald:
Me> > Viziers and Magi are kinda complicated.  There is Malakinus, a

> > Carmanian order of sorcery given in the rulebook but it should
> > be pointed out that this is a "Good Sorcery" school and the only
> > sorcery that the Magi will learn. The Carmanians know that all
> > other sorcery is corrupted by the Lie and the Magi forbid their
> > study to most Carmanians, save the Viziers.

>Humm... so only the Magi practice traditional (ie non-Lunar) Carmenian
>sorcery?

No. As the Malakinus writeup says "The Malakinus philosophy is practiced (and occasionally licensed for use by other orders) by the Magi."

>Has the western idea of the House Wizard been
>abandoned by the Carmenians?

No, these are the Viziers. Just because they belong to one order or another does not mean they are full time residents in the schools and monasteries of that order.

>I was
>still assuming that although they typically worship other deities, >most
>Carmenian lords have a chapel and Wizard (Vizier) devoted to >Carmanian
>Malkionism.

The only "chapels" would (or at least should in Spol) be devoted to Idovanus. Everybody will worship there at least once a year, I suppose, but nobody (save the Viziers) would learn useful magic from his worship.

>From what
>you are saying, it seems I should run the Carmenians as pretty close to
>typical polytheists, with a sort of remote acknowledgment of the Invisible
>God and its Saints and Prophets.

The Carmanians do not worship the Invisible God. They worship Idovanus and the Good Gods. Idovanus is the Malkioni God but the Carmanians do not appear to worship Talor or any other Malkioni Saint.

>Actual "Wizard" types are rare. Is this accurate?

It depends on what you mean by "Wizards". There are no White Wizards in the traditional Malkioni sense. The Carmanians have Viziers and Magi instead.

>Are members of the Vizier class solely sorcerers, or does the class
> >include priests of the approved gods and goddesses of the Empire?

Solely sorcerers. Priests of the approved gods are members of that caste that worship those gods.

>In other words, would a
>Carmenian priest of Etyries be considered a member of the Vizier class?

No.

> > I only know of one name for an order, Fronalako.

>Which, if I understand correctly, is a name originally applied by the
>Carmenians to the corrupt sorcery of the God Learners. At this point it
>time it probably is used as a derogatory term for all evil sorcery.

Yup.

> > Magi are much more complicated. They follow the Good God, > Idovanus,
>Creator of the World and the Truth.

>Humm... is Idovanus the Invisible God, or a Great God one step below Him?

It depends on who you ask. In game terms, yes. According to both the God Learners and the Carmanians, no.

> > They do have access to the Idovanic magics which are not sorcery > and
>not theistic either. Perhaps Transcendent is the best label.

>What is the path that young Carmenians of a
>religious bent take to eventually wind up as one of these mystics?

By being snatched at the cradle or from their Mother's (or wetnurse's) breast by agents of the Magi and raised in seclusion since that time. Candidates are usually selected through astrological portents and other marvellous omens.

--Peter Metcalfe