Urox/Storm Bull

From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:16:23 +0100

Thanks for all the clarifications. I have a big problem with the two co-existing entities solution. It creates a "rules fudge" precedent for ignoring the misapplied worship and separate home-planes rules. (In other words - why have those rules at all ...).

The only solution that I can come up with to reconcile the rules and my own discomfort with such a fudge is that there must be a mythological explanation.

For example, after defeating The Devil Urox/Storm Bull vows to guard against his return. To guarantee this he tears off a piece of his soul and binds it to Prax. This weakens Urox (the deity) but creates a Great Spirit tied to protect Prax against chaos. Both traditions (animist and theist) know this secret (?) and therefore recognize eachother as part of some greater Truth (so can participate in joint worship and share sacred sites).

(Note you can reverse the explanation - Great Spirit Storm Bull tears off a chunk of his soul and sends it out to battle chaos elsewhere, that chunk ends up receiving worship and becoming a god)

I like this kind of approach because it prevents on-the-fly fudging without good reason and (to me) explains why a powerful entity like Urox (he _did_ defeat The Devil) is a relatively minor god.

Thom