Re: SIMILARITIES

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 08:35:35 -0500

On 5/27/00 at 7:29 PM Peter Metcalfe wrote:

>At 12:40 AM 5/27/00 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>they practice
>>sorcery; they are xenophobic; and they worship deities which they cannot
>>contact in any way.
>
>I don't think this last bit is true. They worship a god but
>the theistic observers cannot see any evidence of it.

Admittedly, my point was weak here.

>>Is there some common origin here, or are these
>>similarities mere coincidence?
>
>In the God Learner sense (or at least what Greg once said - he may
>have changed his mind since), they are both religions of the sorcerous
>perspective. The key difference between them is that the Malkioni
>believe that the World was originally energy and became matter. The
>Mostali believe that the World was originally matter and became
>energy.

Interesting. And this pattern does pretty much hold true for the Malkioni, the Mostali, and the Vadeli (or do I seem to remember that they split off from the Brithini at some point?). Don't recall the Vadeli cosmology offhand.

>>Theory #2: The Invisible God IS Mostal, and vice versa; neither god is
what
>>its worshippers claim it to be.
>
>In pretty much the same way as Urox and Storm Bull are the same god.

That will be an interesting topic to explore at some point, though such theological hairsplitting might be more appropriate on the Glorantha digest. Wonder if there'll be mystic, animistic, or theistic versions somewhere?

Guy

We Meddle in God's Domain So That You Don't Have To