Re: Re: Bartnar and Barantaros

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 19:21:32 -0500

On 5/29/00 at 7:39 AM Russell Hoyle wrote:

>From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
>> I recall some discussion on the Glorantha Digest awhile back (about KING
>OF
>> SARTAR, I believe) that, when Orlanth worship was outlawed by the
Lunars,
>> the worshippers often took up worship of Barntar to keep their
>"connection"
>> to Orlanth hidden. My theory here was that Barantaros is connected to
>that
>> aspect of Barntar somehow. (Just an intriguing thought; I haven't
>invested
>> much in this.)
>
>Well, I can see what you mean now!
>I thought from the original post you were just drawing the connection from
>the similarity of the names of the gods.

The similarity of names COULD be just a coincidence, I'll agree; however, I'll bet there's a reason that they chose to make them so similar.

>Do you mean that they worship of Bartnar is like "Orlanth Farmer", and
>Bartnaros is like an underground Orlanth Adventurous or something? Both
are
>aspects of Orlanth, both are hidden in some way. I guess it might be a bit
>of a stretch to say they were the same minor god though...

That's pretty much what I mean, inasmuch as I'm not exactly sure what I mean. But I think that barantaros is a way for Orlanth worshippers to function in Orlanth-proscribed areas under the shield of Barntar. "We don't worship Orlanth, yer Lunar lordship; we worship the officially-permitted Bar(a)ntar(os). Pardon? Oh, yeah, Barntar IS our plow god, yessir..."

>Sorry I am being a little incoherent, but I should really be getting ready
>for work.....

I wish I could work somewhere where coherence isn't necessary...

Guy

PS Too many othr Guys and Hoyles running around here, but I'm the only one that's BOTH! ;-)

We Meddle in God's Domain So That You Don't Have To