Allied Spirit

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 22:02:47 +0200

        Were Allied Spirits a RQ construct or were they a Gloranthan reality? For in the latter case, what do they become in HW? From the rules' POV, it is clear (just a follower with its two abilities, or a magic item), and this is why I post this here.

        What place have Allied *Spirits* in the rigid theist paradigm? They are Demons (this is what you call otherworldly servants of divinities, right?) sent by the god to help its most devout worshippers? Besides at his creation, how can a character get one? The role of AS has not been formalized in HW. This means that they are not as common as RQ led us to believe, and more customized to those whom they are allied? Having an AS is an event amazing enough to deserve a full story, and not be dismissed through a rule abstraction?

        OTOH, it's true that animists have allied spirits (called spirit allies) but these fit well in that paradigm. I liked the image of the Heortling warrior with his alynx who spoke Orlanth's word or the Humakti with the sentient sword (that spread Death even where Death was not meant to be spread). Of course these things still exist in HW, and they are easier to build, but are they allied spirits in RQ's sense? Synthetically put, this is my question. Thanks in advance for the answers.

	Cheers,
	An allied Alex.