Re: Re: Barantaros & Barntar; Yinkin

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 16:15:24 -0500

On 5/29/00 at 1:17 PM David Dunham wrote:

>Guy argues:
>
>> Somebody (Greg? Roderick?) created the name Barantaros with a very real
>> resemblance to an existing deity, Barntar;
>
>And a very real resemblance to several Sartarite names. My guess is
>it was chosen simply to sound culturally appropriate.

I'll concede that this could be the point, though the resemblance sounds much closer to me than most. When I first saw the name of the cult, I thought it WAS a variant name of Barntar. The similarity in names reminds me of the variant names for Orlanth in other cultures (Worlath, Orlanatus, etc.), and Humakt (Humath). But this may not be the case with Barntar and Baranatus. My arguments are pretty much circumstantial (reminding me, curiously enough, of the Anti-Stratfordian arguments about Shakespearean authorship... yeesh, maybe I had better drop this!)

>However, all this speculation doesn't really matter. If the two cults
>are secretly aspects of the same son of Orlanth in your game, and
>they're unrelated in mine, doesn't change our enjoyment of the game.

Cool. I didn't want people to be tired of me arguing the point on the list, here. I think it's a cool idea, but I don't have a lot of emotional value attached to it. And the argumewnts against it have been pretty convincing. I may bring it up again if anything more occurs to me.

Guy

We Meddle in God's Domain So That You Don't Have To