Re: Allied Spirit

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 16:29:56 PDT

Alexandre Lanciani:

>Were Allied Spirits a RQ construct or were they a Gloranthan reality?

They are gloranthan reality AFAIK. Even if the travels of Biturian Varosh has been completely and utterly gregged, mention of them or similar entities appear in more recent greggly writings.

In Missing Lands, Greg writes about a Theyalan asking his allied spirit for help in confronting a Doraddi in a riddle contest. One could also argue that the angels mentioned in various gregly writings on Peloria are also allied spirits.

>What place have Allied *Spirits* in the rigid theist paradigm?

None whatsoever. But nobody practices the rigid theist paradigm.

>They are
>Demons (this is what you call otherworldly servants of divinities,
> >right?)sent by the god to help its most devout worshippers?

I prefer to think of "demon" as a God Learner term.

>Besides at his
>creation, how can a character get one? The role of AS has not been
>formalized in HW.

Neither has familiars. But since mention is made of a seraph sent by a saint to inhabit a sword in the rules, I do think AS are more customised to a particular pantheon rather than being generic spirits.

--Peter Metcalfe