Re: Re: Glorantha Book Now Available

From: bertmeister <bertmeister_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 12:44:40 +0100

Chaps and chappeses

This lack of metal things for Praxians has been bothering me for ages! When I first started playing RQ back in1983, these things were not a consideration. However, Mr Stafford has been encouraging us to be more realistic over the years and this is good - but I do not subscribe to this bone swords crap.

Read visions of Glorantha. The Phyllis Ann Karr and John Boyle stories are incredible. (sorry Oliver, but I don't like the writing style of the Griselda stories). Read the Road of Kings. When the kid got to his initiation, he was presented posthumously with a sword and even a mail Hauberk and a Large Shield from a Zorak Zoran DeathLord!!!! This is unusual, but don't forget. Prax is a hard place to live, with infant mortality and the like. When that son, or sons of yours grow to be men, hopefully the family (not just the uncle or father) will have accumulated somethings to give the new warrior a start, even if it is just one metal sword. I know a lot of gamers search for gold , gems and magic - but what about, "aaahhh! A mighty blade. This I shall take! One day my son shall wield this trophy and remember his fathers prowess in battle!"

So chaps, lets drop this bone-sword crap! Dragonnewts Klanths are Dragon Bone right? Dragon Bones are pretty big. What bone would you use off of a Bison to make a good sword? Broadswords made from metal are very heavy. Bison bones are not so heavy, and are generally not the right shape and are unwieldly. Nuff said,

Rob

PPS: Frenchy, I like your comments keep them up!