Vampires and Corpses

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 21:51:47 +1200

Nick Brooke wrote:

>: And, *if* HW ever prints material on Vivamort (or Vampires, etc.)
>: which contradict or change the nature and powers of vampires from those
>: expressed in prior publications, the HW version takes precedence (per
>: suggestion #2).

>NB: when this was written, I was unaware that the HW Glorantha Book would
>include bizarre editorial speculations about Vivamort: p.250

> VIVAMORT willfully sacrificed his own soul to gain immortality.
> Because of this empty and hollow entity, vampiric corpses rise
> from their graves to feed upon humans. [or any living creature?
> And I assume it's the worshippers of Vivamort that reanimate.
> Where do zombies come from?]

Being responsible for this passage, I must say it's a fair cop but society is to blame. I was cribbing shamelessly from the Gods of Glorantha Prosopaedia which states:

         Vivamort is the god of undeath who willfully sacrificed his own
         soul to gain empty immortality.  Because of this dark and hollow
         entity, corpses sometimes rise from the grave at night to suck
         the blood of sleeping people.
                         GoG Prosopaedia p18.

As for the differences between Vampires and Zombies, I do feel that zombies are not vampires because, although corpses, they do not have the hunger for other people's blood.

--Peter Metcalfe