Re: Vampires and Corpses

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 10:04:53 -0400

Nick Brooke wrote:

(Peter's spculative stuff was here)

> I agree. I think Vampires (among many others) can create Zombies, in various
> ways. I also think that not all Vampires are east-European nobles in opera
> capes with pointy teeth (as they appear to be in the CoT writeup), and that
> some Vampires may indeed appear to be "just" unusual zombies ("More
> brains!"), or bog-dwelling wights (Erik Sieurin's suggestion), or
> rune-tattooed weirdoes (Cults of Terror), etc.

Rune Tatoo'd weirdos? I think that was Sun County. Hmmm. I think I like the thought of vampiric draugr. I agree that vampires should be variable through out glorantha, keyed to whatever the culture is.

Sadly, this means no opera capes in sartar but it does mean draughty, dank castles in the swamp. Does anyone really know how Delecti gets around? He seems to be, from what little I have seen, something that possesses bodies serially, rather than a true physical immortal. More like Frankestein rather than Dracula.

Or am I out of my tree again?

> Let's say I prefer to have lots of kinds of folkloric Vampires (and other
> monstrosities) existing alongside the Stoker-derived tradition, not just a
> Cult of Bela Lugosi Imitators.

Vampire: The Angst!

But yes, I think that the draugr from Vikings! translates nicely as do a lot of other wierdoes.

> With any luck, Tales #19 will have some super new Vampiric material, and be
> out Real Soon Now.
>
> Cheers, Nick

I'll look forward to it! Please send some to Canada this time. We were completely unaware of its existence until 2 years ago. =(

Jeff