Re: Re: Elmal Questions

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 10:41:05 -0400

Tim Ellis wrote:

> > The Justice Stick is probably the same as the one Orlanth retrieved
> > from the Sky in the "Orlanth the Justice Bringer" myth in KoS p74.
> >

> Thanks - I had forgotten this one - without re-reading it it
> certainly sounds reasonable.
>
> [how is Elmal known to the fire tribe]
> > I'd call him a traitor, wouldn't you?
> >
> Yes, or Turncoat or other words indicating much the same thing -
> maybe they got given White Feathers of Vrimak....

Traitor, yeah. Or turncoat. They probably have a tragic myth abou thow Elmal beat up his brothers when they went to reason with him...

> Do the Solar worshippers still consider him in this way, or is he the
> god who threw away his solar heritage to save the barbarians (not
> necessarily a traitor, just strange...) - I'm thinking here of
> Conscientious objectors who turn out to be heroes (You can tell which
> War Comics I read as a kid, can't you).
>
> What I was wondering was whether Elmal was worshipped/reviled by
> solar cultures, or identified with another figure by them...

He's probably considered Fallen and Polluted. Or they could consider him some sortof envangelical deity, who is purifying the dirty stickpickers up enough so they can *maybe* become Yelmalions in their next life. They probably regard him as a wrong-worship of Yelmalio.

But I'd doubt it... =) Them solars still have a thing for Rebellus Termnius and all his buddies. A solar who left teh Court to join him would be probably anathema. Which probably explains the venom with which Ironfist pursues the few Elmali in his lands.

Jeff