RE: Vampires and Corpses

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 16:01:33 +0100

I'm running a Hero Wars demo at Caliver Books in Southend-on-Sea (Essex, England for those who don't know it) at the weekend.

Funnily enough, the scenario I'll be using revolves around a vampire. And not the "Bela Lugosi" sort either. It's loosely based around the Ustrel, from Polish/Bulgarian folklore (depending on which book you consult). Anyhow, from my notes:

"This particular vampire is little more than a mindless monster, an appetite on legs. It is still recognisable as Venharl, a young boy of about six from a neighbouring clan who became lost in the marsh and was drowned. It is, however, clearly dead. Its skin is pale and clammy, its belly bloated with gases. Its fingernails and teeth have extended into deadly teeth and claws. The stench of the marshy grave from which it has arisen clings to this creature. It still recognises the name of Venharl as its own, and may react to it, but it is too consumed by its unnatural hunger to speak. It is capable of little more reason than any predatory animal, though it displays a low, animal cunning.

Significant Traits:
Animal Cunning 3w, Cling to Cattle 19, Hate the Living 18, Hide in Cover 1w, Monstrous Appearance 3w, Running 18, Stench of the Grave 15, Unnaturally Strong 5w.
Close Combat 2w (Bite and Claws rank 3, Undead Flesh rank 2).

The vampire can fight on until it reaches -40 AP, at which point it will apparently become inactive, like a zombie. However, it will rise again to plague the characters. The only way to permanently destroy it is to use fire, or an ability such as Jakaleel's Lay the Dead to Rest Secret or Humakt's Kill Undead feat. An iron nail or spike hammered into its head will also destroy it, but iron is usually far too valuable to be used for this.
The vampire is not repulsed by holy symbols, not even the Death rune, which holds no fear for a creature which is already dead. Neither is it destroyed by sunlight, though it does prefer to hunt by night, when stealth and concealment are easier.

The creature feeds on cattle at present, drinking their blood and milk, and even eating some of their flesh. As its hunger grows, its appetites may extend to the flesh and blood of humans. It will conceal itself from hunters by clinging to the belly of a cow, hidden from sight by the long fur of the Heortling cattle. It can be driven from its hiding place by driving the cattle through fire, as it fears the flame. At great need, it takes refuge in the marsh, hiding itself in the mud at the bottom of stagnant pools. It will not stand and fight, unless it has been cornered, but will flee from any group that outnumbers it."

One part of the original myth I'd like to use, but haven't written into here yet,
is that the Ustrel would be killed by wolves, if no one else does the job. I was thinking that this is something that might be suitable for the Telmori to take on. Perhaps they have some hatred for this sort of vampire, as wolves tend to be scapegoated for cattle killings, so have some sort of spirits/magics at their disposal for the task....

Regards,

Bruce