Re: Initiation and Spirit Integration

From: Jeff Kyer <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 05:54:28 -0000

Initiation is the act of becoming an adult, at least in Orlanthi Society. Initiation (and possibly devotion) is very much the norm. I
suspect you would be taught Worship as you partipated in ceremonies. There are, afterall, roles for children in the pantheon (Voria and Voriof are commonly referred to as children's gods)

And since you have to *survive* initiation, I think you'd be taught the knowlege skills necessary to survive the ritual beforehand. That would certainly be Worship and Mythology skills.

> In the latter case, when would it be normal to initiate to a
> a god or aspect of a great god, sometimes soon after that, a
> few years later, or do you initiate to a god when you become an
> adult or something completely different?

As you have probably gathered from the rules, very few people are daring/insane/touched enough to iniitate to the Great God directly. The vast majority are more than content with that. You initate to when you become an adult. YOu may join another cult later or advance through progressive cults (the Yelmic progression or the Orlanth A to Orlanth Rex).

> If I'm not an initiate and only have Worship Storm Pantheon,
> what magic do I have apart from the DI option, any? If I'm an
> Orlanthi Farmer, can I call upon Ernalda using Worship Storm

You are have DI and nothing more. You can support and help with community worship, which is rather community oriented and not directly
helpful to the person.

> Pantheon to bless my crops or rid them of the weevil, obviously
> at even a greater penalty than an initiate? Have I lost my Kill Rats
> capability and my PloughSharp unless I'm an initiate of Barntar or
> Orlanth the Farmer? What do people think?

You'd have to use the DI rules which are VERY difficult. Most folks become Initiates. Besides, its the only way you're going to be considered an adult in some societies.

> On integration of spirits, which seems significantly more powerful
> that using fetishes, what are the drawbacks? The obvious one to me
> is that you are making this foreign spirit an integral part of your
> spirit, which to my mind means that it should bring along part of

Drawbacks: Finding them and fighting them. Also, a fetish and a spirit in it may have more than one power. WHen you intergrate a spirit you get just 1 talent (and possibly at a lower level than the spirit's ability to use it)

its
> personality as well. As well, if too many spirits are integrated,
> especially if they are contradictory e.g integrating a Lion spirit
and
> an Antelope spirit (Predator and Prey) could lead to interesting
> mental difficulties :-) for the player.

Possibly. Or you may just be in total control. A huschen would of course intergrate only his totem's bitz.

Hope this helps!

Jeff