Re: tribes

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 10:14:33 -0700

Guy asked

> What are the "definitive" sources for tribes in Sartar? KoDP has some, as
> do issues of TotRM, but where can one get enough info to play, say, the
> Maboder tribe? The Maboder? The Dinacoli? What gods are favored in the
> tribes? What are their attitudes towards Lunars? What are the distinctive
> features of each tribe?

The Sartar Tribes Map in Tales of the Reaching Moon 6 is a good start, though Questlines 1 has the same info but more detailed.

Alex wondered

> > Why would anybody want to play the Maboder considering that they
> > were exterminated shortly after the Lunar Conquest?

> The Maboder exterminated by the Lunars? But weren't they good friends?

You're jumping to conclusions -- according to King of Sartar: "After the Telmori annihilated the core of the Maboder tribe in 1607 the situation changed. The Maboder had been good Lunar allies, even refusing to fight for Boldhome during the last invasion. ... The Lunar army moved from its city bases to avenge them."

King of Sartar is sometimes a dificult work, but it's pretty much the bible for anyone working on the Heortlings (it certainly was when we did King of Dragon Pass).

Speaking of KoDP, I made up a couple of tribe names that aren't in KoS. This is because KoDP is not a literal recreation of history, and because there's no guarantee that the original tribes will remain intact for 200 years. (We know that the Lunars created some new ones...)

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein