Re: Sorcerous Familiars in Hero Wars ?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 20:33:04 +1200

Julian Lord:

>Fair enough : but I wonder what the difference might be between a
>homunculus and a familiar (whether summoned, created, or otherwise
>aquired).

I don't think there is one. Certainly wasn't in any RQ3 supplements.

>But in the Gloranthan West, do these various kinds of sorceror actually
>exist, and are there many different ways for a sorceror to be connected to
>the Sorcery Plane ? Or, is there a single dominant sorcery technique that
>everyone uses (the one described in the rulebook) ?

Not every fantasy (or RW!) sorcerer type is necessary a sorcerer of the rulebook sort. Some might be animists, others theurgists and so forth. For example, while the man in the street would call Kralori Alchemists, the Sorcerers of Orathorn or the Telmori Ituvanu sorcerers, this does not mean that they must gain their power from the sorcery plane.

As for those magicians using the sorcery plane themselves, I do not think that the rulebook version is the only possible path. It's certainly the path that most humans (including non-Malkioni such as the Fonritan sorcerers) use, but a few humans and nonhumans (such as the mostali and guhan uz) should not IMO.

--Peter Metcalfe