Re: Alkothi questions

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:21:47 EDT

In a message dated 6/23/00 3:31:19 GMT Daylight Time, HeroWars_at_egroups.com writes:

<< The Alkothi worship Shargash as their main deity and revere Yelm only
through his mythic associations with Shargash, right? >>

     They worship the Bijiif aspect of Yelm, IIRC.

<<Does that mean that Shargash is their Great Deity? >>

      I don't think so: Yelm, Lodril and Rufelza are the Great Deities of the Solar pantheon, and I get the impression that whether you're a Great Deity or not is a pretty fixed thing. Shargash is their principal deity, but that just means they all worship him, not that he's treated as a GD in game mechanic terms (Great Secret, separate cults for the Red, Green and Black aspects, etc.)

<<So the gods, when worshipped in the enclosure have different runic
co-ordinates than when worshipped somewhere else in DH, i.e. Theist-Celestial-Shargash-whatever rather than Theist-Celestial-Yelm-whatever? Or do they function as different pantheons? >>

     I'd say they've still got the same set of runes, and that the aspects of Shargash are sub-cults, while the aspects of Yelm are fully separate cults (even if the Alkothi only happen to worship one of them). But I'm not entirely clear how absolute the Great Deity/Typical Deity difference is supposed to be, so I wouldn't say for certain that you're wrong. I certainly don't see Shargash as the head of his own pantheon, though.

     In the same manner, I wouldn't expect Bagog to be a great deity, just because she's the primary deity of the scorpion folk.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky