Re: Big spirits, small spirits and integration

From: Jeff Kyer <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 21:01:14 -0000

> However, out of the examples discussed I'm not sure about Lightning
Boy
> being a Praxian spirit. He's a subcult of Orlanth Adventurous,
providing

Lightning Boy is a Praxian Spirit.

Lightning SPEAR is an Orlanth Subcult. Or at least that's what I've been running with.

Lightning Spear is a subcult of Orlanth and provides an affinty. However one of the local clans has a shrine to Lighting Boy and he provides a stand alone feat -- but his time constraint is much less
than the subcult would be. But that's my campaign, of course!

> the Lightning Spear (The spell Lightning in RQ3, I'd say it's a
> stand-alone feat in HW). The Praxian spirit of storms and lightning
is
> Thunder Bird, AFAIK.

Thunder bird is one of the Three Feathered Rivals and provides Lightinng powers but Lighting Boy was 'Wrested Away from teh Grim Sky Gods' -- as far as I can recall the quote.

But I think that both would provide spirits for fetishes. A 'lightning bird feather fetish' might be contain a very nasty spirit.  Intergrating a lighting spirit into oneself might let you toss the things around rather casually.

One of the reasons why Animists *can* be very nasty customers indeed!

> Guy:
> >I wonder... when you integrate a spirit, does it have any other
influence
> >over you? Maybe it has some kind of effect on your personality,
yoiur likes
> >and dislikes. Doesn't have to be anything rulesy, but it would be
fun.
> >You're still in control, but now you have strange personality
traits that
> >you didn't have before...
>
> Absolutely. Especially in the case of passion spirits. They should
be.
> potential flaws, sometimes influencing you to act against your
better
> interests. But then, I also think the bonus they give should be
bigger...
> oops, drifting into rules-talk again.

Passion spirits (coming in Anaxial)are designed to affect you when they possess you. Intergration is something different in that it becomes a part of you, properly *intergrated* into your body and spirit.

Probably wouldn't cause flaws if it was done successfully. Not unless
you were a Telmori intergrating cat and deer spirits.... Of course if you failed to intergrate it properly, you might have some troubles.

Jeff