Re: Big spirit dudes

From: James Turner <j.a.turner_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:56:06 +0100

Jeff:
>He's a middle man. And you cannot get *friendly* access to Lightning
>spirits without his intercession.

Why care about friendly access?
Find a spirit, use spirit combat, force it into a fetish. No need for any pleasantries.

>Yes. And now you are trying to integrate a hostile spirit into your
>body. Tradition lores make this easier as you know what to appease and
>bargain with them. Spirits are, afterall, not plug and play components
>but become a part of yourself, especially when you intergrate them...

Well you could put that slant on them but its not implied in the rules. Once a spirit is defeated in spirit combat its feelings are irrelevant.

>I, for one, would not want to go to Oakfed's part of the Spirit Plane
>without a deal present. One could get seriously burned by poaching on
>his spirits without permission...

But if you just wanted a fire fetish you are not going to learn all about Oakfed, start following his tradition etc. You'll just go to the spirit plane look for a fire spirit and beat it.

This is the real problem I have.
In order to make the spirit cults important and used you have to give them special spirits and make them unavailable to anyone who doesn't follow their tradition. This leads to things like Waha shamans going to the spirit plane and only seeing Waha spirits, unable to find any fire, water, storm, darkness, bee, fear, lust etc spirits.
There has to be a better way of doing it.

James Turner
j.a.turner_at_...