Re: Big spirit dudes

From: James Turner <j.a.turner_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:12:45 +0100

Peter Metcalfe:
>Since when were Waha shamans unable to find spirits of fire, water,
>storm etc?

But Peter also posted
>If you don't want to go to Oakfed's realm then you are venturing outside
your tradition and have an >even harder time.

Exactly!
In order to make spirit cults viable the gm has to penalise the shaman if he tries this sort of thing.
This is what I don't like. Taken to the extreme you do end up with Waha shamans that can only find Waha spirits on the spirit plane to bind.

If a player Waha shaman said to me he wanted to find a lightning spirit and bind it into a fetish. I would say fine, it's outside his Waha tradition so the resulting fetish would be one use. It may be difficult for him to find said spirit but he could improve his chances by entering the spirit plane during a real lightning storm for example. For me Lightning Boy must offer something more than just easier access to lightning spirits.

In the HW book Koschei gains the power of hibernation by defeating a bear spirit. This power is certainly on the same sort of level as the powers described in previous spirit cult writeups. It doesn't seem to me that Koschei had to learn a new tradition to be able to do that.

James Turner
j.a.turner_at_...