Re: Re: Big spirit dudes

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 13:57:03 PDT

James Turner

Me> >Since when were Waha shamans unable to find spirits of fire,
> >water, storm etc?

Me> >If you don't want to go to Oakfed's realm then you are venturing
> >outside your tradition and have an even harder time.

>Exactly!

I'm sorry, but what is your point here? Oakfed is the source of fire for the Waha tradition.

>In order to make spirit cults viable the gm has to penalise the shaman if
>he tries this sort of thing.

But going outside a tradition is already penalised in the rules.

>This is what I don't like. Taken to the extreme you do end up with Waha
>shamans that can only find Waha spirits on the spirit plane to >bind.

I've said that hostile contacts are still possible (and Jeff originally ruled out only friendly contacts). I don't see how anybody could "take this to an extreme" and conclude that Waha Shamans can only find Waha Spirits to bind.

>If a player Waha shaman said to me he wanted to find a lightning >spirit
>and bind it into a fetish. I would say fine, it's outside his Waha
>tradition so the resulting fetish would be one use. It may be difficult for
>him to find said spirit but he could improve his chances by entering the
>spirit plane during a real lightning storm for example.

If the Shaman enters the spirit plane during a real lightning storm then he would be entering lightning boy's realm. Since, for the sake of the example, he does not know Lightning Boy's Tradition, then he is entering a hostile realm.

>For me Lightning Boy must offer something more than just easier access to
>lightning spirits.

Well, he does. There's always the effects in Nomad Gods and the effects of contacting the Great Spirits directly.

>In the HW book Koschei gains the power of hibernation by defeating a >bear
>spirit. This power is certainly on the same sort of level as the >powers
>described in previous spirit cult writeups. It doesn't seem to >me that
>Koschei had to learn a new tradition to be able to do that.

So Koschei just walked onto the spirit plane and caught a bear spirit? If he knew where to find it, then he must have had some previous knowledge, a tradition in other words.

--Peter Metcalfe