Re: Womens in Loskalm

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:54:29 PDT

B�b�hu:

>It is said page 171 of Glorantha, Introduction to the Hero Wars, that
>women have a subordinate role in the loskalmi society.

I should point out that _most_ women in Loskalm follow traditional roles. There are quite a few women who do not and emulate (or outdo) men. They are tolerated in Loskalmi society (they even have their own order) but a significant portion of Loskalmi have problems in dealing with them (insofar as a redneck might have in dealing with a non-white policeman).

>This
>contradicts with what was said in TotRM 13, page 20. Is the new
>version the official one ?

Insofar as anything printed by Issaries is official (unless repudiated as a mistake).

>I mean, Loskalm is the land of Idealism. I
>think the women should have equal rights in it.

IMO the Idealism of Loskalm is closer to Schopenhauer or Nietzche than any modern notions. But if you don't want to play it that way, then feel free.

>Beside, it would help
>me to go west, as I have 1/3 to 1/2 of my gaming group who is female.
>And when playing in a sexist society, they always turn up to Womens'
>Rights militantism, wich is quite straining for me and the other male
>players.

It depends what PCs they are playing. Loskalm isn't a place where woman are disarmed at the border, made to wear dresses and chained to work barefoot in a kitchen. IMO they would have to deal from time to time with shocked stares, mutters, innuendo, confrontations with arch-conservatives, unconscious bias by some of the liberals etc.

--Peter Metcalfe