Re: Womens in Loskalm

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 19:27:27 +1200

Following up to myself:

>I should point out that _most_ women in Loskalm follow traditional
>roles. There are quite a few women who do not and emulate (or
>outdo) men. They are tolerated in Loskalmi society (they even
>have their own order) but a significant portion of Loskalmi have
>problems in dealing with them (insofar as a redneck might have
>in dealing with a non-white policeman).

Looking at the passage in question, I see mention of them having an order of their own has been excised due to space. But take a look at the last sentence on that page:

         "A select few [women] are trained as knights but until now
         they have never been allowed to fight in battle and are
         instead used to rescue the fallen".

Hence there are female knights in Loskalm who were historically trained to rescue the fallen in battle. Now in the post-ban world, they can fight in battle.

The status of Malkioni women generally is described (from a jaundiced Malkioni perspective) on p45.

         "Women are a caste unto themselves for God has made them
         to be the child bearers and hearth keepers.  They have the
         same legal rights as their father or husband.  Some women
         claim the right of independence but the authorities they
         quote are dubious and most use their "independence" to
         indulge in deeds contrary to the natural order".

Reading between the lines, the speaker admits that independent women _do_ exist in Malkioni society and he does not condemn them as caste breakers or heretics and schismatics (as he lists them separately). He merely indicates his disapproval of them, rather than urge that they be killed without mercy as he recommends for Krjalki or that they be denounced to the ecclesiastical authorities in the case of heretics and schismatics (Caste breakers on the other hand should be obeyed if they are your rightful superiors...)

Hence if your players want to play female Malkioni Knights or Wizards, then there is nothing stopping them other than social disapproval.

--Peter Metcalfe