RE: RE: Initiates and time

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_...>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 07:18:17 +0100

Henrix asks, reasonably:

>> Much worship of a Culture Hero (such as Waha or Orlanth) consists of >> acting as that Culture Hero would have acted.

> Yes, well, English may not be my native language, but how do you fit
> that interpretation into "Initiates spend approximately 30% of their
> time, energy and resources in worship"?

Most gods aren't Culture Heroes. Most worship isn't that easy. (This "interpretation" is derived from listening to Greg waffling on at Tentacles last month, and doesn't come from the letter of the rules).

Besides, if you really prefer standing outside temples holding a stopwatch ("Only 4 hours 38 minutes today -- better throw in some more genuflections!"), you are of course free to do so.

> Am I to understand that to help my neighbour is to worship Orlanth?

If done piously (because Orlanth wants you to help your fellow clansmen in adversity), yes.

> How about feeding the cat?

If done piously (because Yinkin is Orlanth's half-brother, and supporting your kin is a virtue), yes.

> Doing the dishes?

If done piously (because Ernalda can persuade Orlanth to do what must be done, however much it goes against his nature), yes.

> Or is 30% of everything I do an act of worship?

No. More specifically, any time you spend acting in a pious fashion towards a deity other than Orlanth (e.g. Yinkin, Humakt, Lhankor Mhy...) *cannot* count towards that time. Which is, as Julian points out, the real intention of the rule.

Cheers, Nick