RE: [hw-rules] Digest Number 166

From: Richard Sands <richard.sands_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 10:27:33 +0100

On Wednesday, July 05, 2000 11:24 PM, Andrew Barton [SMTP:AndrewBarton_at_...] wrote:

> Most of the -psychological- effect of a cavalry charge takes effect
before
> contact.
>
> Also, the present-day British Household Cavalry stay on by having
> sheepskins strapped to their horses, and wearing long leather boots
with
> the insides of the thighs roughened. They only use stirrups at all
because
> the sergeants yell at them if they don't (source, a wargaming friend
who
> serves in that unit). It's my conclusion that stirrups only become
> important when riders are wearing metal armour on their legs.

I remember reading somewhere that the actual advantage of stirrups is the ability to stand up in the saddle - I think it's biggest advantage is for the more recent style of lancing (Lace War/Napoleonic era) where their main purpose was to ride down broken infantry, and the ability to throw their bodyweight behind the lance was a serious advantage. Probably it would also give more range to a swordsman on horseback, but since my swordfighting skills are limited to poor fencing, and I haven't ridden a horse in nearly twenty years, that could well be my imagination ;-)

ps Changed list!

Richard
  richard.sands_at_...
  richard_at_...