Re: Digest Number 59

From: david.boatright_at_...
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 09:41:46 +0100

Nick Brooke

>Again, if you look at where this discussion originated, it was with
>a rather crude, sweeping and unfounded statement (that the
>Orlanthi were nothing like Celts).

This was Nick's usual boot in the teeth response to my comment that in 'Official' sources any celtic influence on the Heortlings has been quashed which was a response to Jeff Kyers "Heortlings are more celtic or perhaps germanic in tone" post. Compare one book cover and one rune spell with everything written in KOS and the Genertelan players guide. Nether of those two publications mention circa 1620 of naked woaded covered, hair limed berserkers riding out of hill-forts on chariots. I am not saying there is no influence but its very little compared to the Germainc model. Unless of course all this has been retconned which is really going to annoy me.
Before the Players guide came out I always played the Orlanthi as Celts given the Bronze\Iron age setting and it was a bit shocker to see all the Germainc stuff. If there is going to be another, much bigger, u-turn then well......