Re: We're late, but we did it!

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 09:55:45 -0400

Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> Xavier Spinat:
>

> No. They consider themselves Malkioni first and foremost.

Except the Zzaburites... =)

> >Are they aware of being part of a "sorcerous" society?
>
> They would most readily apply that to the Brithini or the
> God Forgotten as those societies are dominated by Sorcerers.
> The learned would be aware that the God Learners classified
> their magics as sorcerous but that is probably held to be
> a God Learner Error.

Or they would consider themselves to be the True Descendants of the Kingdom of Logic.

> >But since there is a clear distinction between the religious and
> >the sorcerous orders, is it not logical to consider that the words
> >"sorcerer" or "sorcery" are not officially considered by the malkioni
> >as describing their way of life.
>
> I agree.

Probably. But then, I think that a Dara Happan would blink at you in puzzlement if you called him a theist. They are convenient gaming labels us poor gamer types use to describe things.

For some reason I am reminded of the "People of The Book" comment a friend made when describing the Judeao-Christian Muslim continua.

Same God. Just not a lot of agreement. But that's OT and I'm going to regreat making the comment...

> >I really think there is something awkward in this and I'm not sure I phrase
> >my question very well. it's just that "sorcerous" society sounds splitted
> >in two : the "monotheists" malkioni and the "sorcerous" zzaburites.
>
> It is. The difference is in the answer that they give to the following
> question: Do you believe that God ultimately has human attributes?
>
> The monotheists (Rokari, Hrestoli) say yes, the sorcerous (Brithini)
> say no.
>
> God with human attributes is Malkion.
>
> God with no human attributes is the Creator.

An interesting distinction. I would think of it more of a perception that the universe is an ongoing project and allows for change, enlightenment and improvement. A Brithi would a) disagree and b) dispose of me.

> However Greg, being the type of person he is, screws it up here
> and there.

Do you believe in a Greg with human attributes? =)

> It's unclear to me whether the Rokari believe Malkion to be God:
> the highest manifestation of God that they know is Makan p78, yet
> they describe Malkion p52 as a very extraordinary man! Since they

Malkion was the first prophet OR was Creator Manifest... Shades of the Manichean (sp!!!) Heresy. For a good look at the interlocking fundamentals of the Malkioni faiths, play Chaosium's rather nifty Credo -- the game of basic faith.

> are dominated by wizards (i.e. sorcerers who believe god has human
> attributes), this sort of confusion I place in the same basket
> as "Is Salvation reached by faith or good works?".

Or are you damned in advance?

> The other is the Aeolians who are described as worshipping the
> Creator (implying atheism) yet they also worship False Gods!

This is the Pa.. pah... foop. Pelagian (?) Heresy in which all minor gods eventually flowed into the greater ones who were, in the end, Masks of God.

I really should stop asking my my Uncle the Jesuit for explanations. He's a heretic.

> I suppose that those who agree that God ultimately has no
> human attributes (the believers in the Creator) can be split
> further into two groups: those who agree that Malkion was a
> devolution of God into human form (i.e. Rokari and Aeolians)
> and those who do not (i.e. Brithini etc).
>
> >Maybe I
> >emphasizes the differences too much and should pay more attention to their
> >common ground.
>
> As you can see, it's a vexing problem that I'm not too certain
> what the solution is and so I wouldn't worry about not completely
> understanding it.

No one does. Which makes it interesting. I think I may play a western game next.

> >But it still strikes me as a very different cultural and social
> >organisation, compared to what the 3 other magic systems imply.
>
> There's similar divisions in the other three magic systems but
> those practitioners aren't aware of the fundamental nature of
> the differences they observe and so it's less obvious to us.

We're all God Learners on this bus.

Jeff