Re: Digest Number 60

From: Brian Laxson <b1laxson_at_...>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 08:53:47 -0400

Message: 14
   Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 12:15:36 +0100
   From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Subject: Re: Digest Number 58

>Yes. In my opinion Humakti can even use stealth etc., provided they don't
>use it simply to gain advantage on a foe in combat. Hiding from
>overwhelming odds might be OK (e.g., in order to warn the clan. warband
>etc.). Sneaking into an enemy camp might also be OK (e.g., to challenge the
>enemy chamion to single combat).

Actually this is pretty clearly laid out in the Humakti Gift/Geas rules. If you take "Sense Assassian" you can "Never participate in an ambush". An ambush includes seeking through shrubs to jump on someone. All other Humakti are a free to do it.
One thing to bear in mind is the concept of "Honorable Actions" is also very culture related. Cattle raiding is very honorable thing in Orlanthi society. You are totally useless for this if you strut out in the middle of the tula, walk up to the guards and issue a challenge.
Anothter example is that the Humakti get stuck accepting challenges to duels from other Humakti. They are not forced to accept them from anyone else. Again, there is a gift/geas pair that changes this for the Humakti that take it. What we deem as "honorable" applies piecemeal to the Humakti. Like the ambushes and duels, some Humakti do it. Someone misunderstanding the Humakti religion might make assumptions that all of them act like the guy who strude up the tula on a raid and/or the guy who always accepted any challenge to a duel. Someone like a Lunar goverener sending forward a super augmented champion to challenge the Humakti regiment to single combat only to have the entire regiment charge down on him!

Brian Laxson