Re: Humakti Role Models

From: Weihe, David <weihe_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:44:15 -0400

From: Clay Luther <claycle_at_...>
> I was wondering, is Kai in the SciFi channel show "Lexx" a
> role-model of what a Humakti might be like?
Yes. Firstly, he is dead (despite the fact that he walks around, talks, kills people, etc). Secondly, when he was captured attempting to kill that Evil Emperor type (in the pilot), he was on a suicide mission (which all good Humakti love).

> Can people think of other characters in
> popular fiction that one could point to for a
> player as "Humakti-like" role-models?

Besides the obvious (any role Clint Eastwood ever played, except Bronco Billy and maybe his role in Bird) there are almost all the male Immortals in the Highlander films and TV show (except Chronos, who was Uraini, and any played by rock stars).

The named "dead" gunmen in Purgatory, on TNT, and all the *real* gunmen from The Magnificent Seven (either the movie or the TV series) (ie, exclude the one who went back to farming in the first movie, and the gambler in the series [who would be in my subcult of Eurmal DeathFinder]. Keep the preacher, though). Russell Crowe's character in The Quick and The Dead.

Number 6. Ignore that, as a spy and ex-spy, he did lie, often. Not all role models are perfect fits. McCall, Kostmeyer, and Control, from The Equalizer. This implies that one can get Sense Ambush without losing the right to ambush, by taking some now-unknown geasa (Only Ambush Ambushers, maybe?).

The shoe plant manufacturer whose son's nurse's son is kidnapped, in the Kurosawa film, played by Toshiro Mifune.

In literary Sci-Fi, Gordon Dickson's Dorsai, and the Saurons from Jerry Pournelle's WarWorld. The Cyborg grade officers make great Swords, except that Gloranthan Swords don't know enough statistics to express everything in terms of Game Theory.