Re: Digest Number 62

From: Brian Laxson <b1laxson_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 21:16:58 -0400

>Whenever I hear this interpretation, I am reminded of Nick Brooke's
>comment about rolling 1d10 to see which of the ten commandments
>one keeps.

Not an appriopiate analagy for the Humakt religion. If you have decided all Humakti must follow all the Geas listed then there really isn't a Geas system no is there.

>There should be IMO a conflict between the uncompromising Humakti
>dedication to Death and the cultural norms of the Orlanthi. The
>myth of Humakt the Champion is predicated on this. Thus although

There frequently is. Death to Humakti is a "ready, willing and able" deed, where as Orlanthi culture has normal restraint on the matter. It is part of what make Humakti general "personae non grata" espically within 30 feet of the High Ernalda priestess during sacred time.

>a Humakti might be free to ambush someone if he does not have
>sense assassin, his actions would be unworthy for someone of his
>status.

The geas is clear. Those with that geas yes. Those without no. The Humakti has not broken his word by ambushing and he hasn't done anything dishonorable for a culture where cattle rustling is a religious event.

Brian Laxson