Re: Re: Telmori: They Ain't *That* Bad/The Telmori Foundling

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 20:05:34 +1200

Jeff Kyer:

>And the Telmori are loyal to the Royal house for breaking NOT
>the shifting curse (they sort of like that)

I don't think they do. It's the being _forced_ to shift that gets up their noses. If they could go to the good old days before Talor cursed them but after Nysalor blessed them, that would be fine.

>but for breaking TALOR's
>curse that they would forever wander till they were GIVEN land
>unasked for.

An interesting idea but seemingly contradicted by the Nangtali Telmori having been in Dorastor since 850 and the Gharkor Telmori of Fronela. Also the best exposition of Talor's curse is given below:

         Those refugee wolf folk who fled into Fronela were later
         defeated and cursed by Talor the Laughing Warrior.  This
         curse revealed the taint of chaos which lay at the heart
         of Nysalor's blessing, and henceforth the Telmori were
         forced to take wolf form every Wild day night.
                                 Dorastor: Land of Doom p24.

I _interpret_ the being forced to wander as a consequence of their curse (i.e. civilized neighbours make the Telmori move as far away from them as possible).

>That's what Sartar did for them, as I recall.

KoS says that Sartar gave them a new king who "showed them the secrets of their changing, and offered hope of their curse being broken".

--Peter Metcalfe