Re: Cults of Carmania

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 13:18:40 +1200

Kevin P. McDonald:

>Karmanos
>Modern: Etyries

I'll deal with the mercantile aspect here.

>With mercantilism becoming a dominant force in Carmanian society,
>the Karmanoi and Hazari are increasingly looking for trade gods
>to worship.

This doesn't sound right. Rather than postulate Carmania as a budding market economy with individual Karmanoi and Hazars becoming free-dealing entrepreneurs, one should think of it in terms of Noble Houses, like Dune.

The Karmanoi organize the activities of the House to increase its wealth, power and prestige. Because of the long peace of the Lunar Empire, they are currently engaged in trading activities. A ruling Karmanoi would order an expedition being sent out down the Janube to investigate trading opportunities at Sog City. But rather than go down himself, he would order a caravan to be fitted out lead by another Karmanoi expert in trade and commerce, guarded by several Hazars and numerous other retainers, plus animal-handlers etc to carry the actual cargo.

The Hazars would not be interested in the details of trade for that's not what his caste is. He would be interested in dealing with strangers, protecting his Karmanoi and so forth. All these he can do without a mercantile viewpoint but his skills are useful for the trading activities that his House engages in.

As for the Noble trade god worshippers, I don't think it is anywhere as common as the Player's Book: Genertela implies. I do believe any trade deity would be a local Pelandan one but Greg didn't have the myth that might have named the God ready when he published the Entekosiad (namely Gartemirus and the Merchants, green pages ent. p59).

>Traditional: Argan Argar, Carmanos, Daxdarius, Issaries, Polaris,
>Urvairinus

Drop Polaris (the God you probably meant was Lokarnos) and Urvairinus. These are Dara Happan Gods and would not be worshipped by the Carmanians as their gods are Pelandan (the type that appear in the Entekosiad).

Daxdarius is a war god and one of hoplites. He would be most unsuitable for Karmanoi worship.

Argan Argar would really be Ganesatarus, the Devil. His worship would not be open among the Carmanians (or particularly the Spolites) and it is geared towards darkness rather than trade.

>Vizier
>Modern: Buserian, Irrippi Ontor, Natha, Makabaeus (sorcery)

Why is Buserian a Modern Cult? He should be dropped anyway as a Dara Happanism.

Most of the Viziers are sorcerers and would not worship Gods. There would be a few priesthoods, but I think they are magical societies sponsored by a House for power purposes (ie a Valind Priesthood to invoke Winter against one's enemies, an Atyari priesthood to steal secrets or a Ikadz priesthood to invoke torment) rather than being the average vizier deities to help with the knowledge.

>Traditional: Antirius, Lhankor Mhy, Malakinus (sorcery), Yelmgatha

Antirius and Yelmgatha are Dara Happanisms, and also inappropriate for viziers. Lhankor Mhy should also go as an Orlanthism. There's no magic that he can teach that can't be done by basic Vizier.

>Hazar
>Traditional: Maran Gor, Urvairinus, Zorak Zoran

Drop Urvairinus and rename Maran Gor (perhaps JagaNatha, the drinker of blood) and Zorak Zoran (Ratakar the murderer or Daak the stranger). Daxdarius would be appropriate here.

>All Castes
>Traditional: Ancestor Worship,

Ancestor worship is specifically a Karmanoi tradition. It is furthermore stated in the HW rulebook to be associated with the Deneronic Ancestors of Darsen.

Many of the descriptions in the Prosopaedia recite the standard God Learneroid description and are not how the Carmanians themselves would see those gods.

>Bisos (Carmanian version)
>Bisos is a servant of Idovanus. He is a patron of knights, noble
>families and the Carmanian freeholder farmers.
> Bisos the Hazar - The knight aspect of Bisos.
> Bisos the Freeholder - The god of Carmanian Farmers.

These would be Pelandan (Spolite, Worian etc) Farmers rather than Carmanians. Why the need to identify it as a Carmanian version since Bisos the Freeholder is worshipped similarly in Free Pelanda?

> Bisos the Bull - God of the Bisosae.

The Bisosae, a dawn age folk, have been gone for quite some time (the Entekosiad calls it "An ancient tribal designation, now defunct). They would be the same as the Pelandan freeholders in any case.

>Invisible Orlanth
>The mystery cult of Orlanth, the Breath of God, healed by
>the Red Goddess.

That's not what's said about him in the Genertela Book. He's "invisible" because he has conquered and defeated the Invisible God/the Carmanian God and become enlightened.

--Peter Metcalfe