Re: Alkothi

From: Martin Laurie <Svechin_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 20:04:26 -0000

Trotsky writes:
Alex:
> <<So Yelm is still the Celestial Pantheon's head because he is the
Emperor,
> and Shargash recognises this?>>

Trotsky:
> AFAIK. But I can't be certain of this, not having seen the
full Shargash
> write-up from SGU.

We have him as a Great Deity, and Greg has seen the draft and liked it. However, that doesn't mean it will be that way when SGU appears. It may be revised.

Basically he has aspects of Alkor, Destroyer, Purifier, Horribilus Primus and a couple of others including his mystical aspect. Given his name list he could have more.

> << > I certainly don't see Shargash as the head of his own
pantheon, though.

> But Alkoth is in the underworld, and there is no Yelm, as he is
dead,>>

> Yes there is - he's Bijiif. OK, so he's not actually ruling,
>but he exists, and his worshippers can still fill the same social
>position vis a vis uninitiated worshippers.

No, they can't, because in the Dromakus myth that Greg had as a myth of the month, Bijiif is shown as subordinate to Shargash as he helps him bring forth the Janata - the death power, for use against chaos. In Alkoth, I think the Bijiif cult recognises the rule of Shargash, it was after all his dominion in the darkness.

>Of course, if Peter's >right and Shargash *is* a
> great deity (which would be news to me, but is still entirely
possible) then
> the question is academic, anyway.

I think Peter is right, as much as I think Wes and I are right. What happens when we get to final form is up to Greg. It may be a space consideration. If we had more room, I'd have a section on Alkoth alone, but then every metropolis in the Empire deserves that really.

> << whereas Shargash is very active. I think that Shargash was the
most
> important celestial deity during the Darkness. Doesn't that make
him the most
> important deity of the pantheon in the place/time where Alkoth is?>>

> It doesn't necessarily mean he's a Great Deity, though. For
>that he has to have a Great Secret (among other things). He *may*
>be, but it doesn't necessarily follow.

Ah, he does have a great secret. His power is Rakapas, the power of dispersion, which is opposed by the power of creation and unified by Sedenya into the universe.

Regards

Martin