Re: Re: Carmanian castes

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 22:37:46 +1200

Martin Laurie wrote:

> > Then our concepts are greatly at odds. The Carmanians obsess about
> > ritual purity. No vizier learns weapon skills or is trained in the
> > arts of mundane warfare, IMO.

>I think the _majority_ do not. I think there are exceptions.

These exceptions would be servants of the Lie.

>What I
>find uncomfortable is the concept of a caste that cannot fight, only
>use magic.

Such is inherited from the Carmanian tradition when they fled Loskalm.

>A "Grand Knight" of Carmania could
>be a Vizier-militant and still be into his castes love for pomp and
>ceremony.

Only Loskalm has Grand Knights. I do not see the point of exporting Grand Knights elsewhere.

>I think they are more mobile by far in their
>caste than the Rokari BUT I don't think they've made a religious
>virtue of caste mobility like the Hrestoli.

They are more mobile than the Rokari in that their caste is not the same as their father's but chosen for them on the basis of merit (I think of Vizier-administered aptitude test with lots of divinations and sparkles). But I don't think there's any ability to change caste beyond this point (although a Carmanian can always apostatize).

--Peter Metcalfe