Re: Carmanian castes

From: Martin Laurie <Svechin_at_...>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 05:10:13 -0000

Me:
> >They don't even aknowledge Malkion except to corrupt his name
> >to Fronalko and consider him a servant of the LIE.

Peter:
> Wrong. Malakinus is acknowledged and the Servant of the Lie
> is actually Makan. Even the Loskalmi have similar concepts
> about Makan "an evil demiurge that sought to entrap the
> ignorant in the world of matter so that they will never know
> Solace" (Glorantha Intro p78) as the Carmanians do.

I'm afraid you're wrong on that one. P.66 of Enclosure states that the founder of the Romanakrin Wisdom, Estrekor, stressed "that the Ultimate God was immanent, NOT seperate from the world and that the Fronelan Malkion was not the true Creator, but rather the evil Lord of Matter. The god in the writing is also called FroNalakino, and from Fron Im Malakinus the Demiurge, a lower god and not the One Mind."

Further the piece by Greg goes on to say:

"The Romanakrin Wisdom was incorporated by the Prophet Karmanos into his revolutionary dualistic religion."

And later:

"When sorcery, the supposed realm of Idovanus, was later used for evil purposes, the Karmanian Magi investigated their hearts and patrolled their boundaries and they determined that evil sorcery was under the control of the old Evil Sorcerer, FroNalakino (corruption of Fronelan Malkion)"

Given that this piece is pretty much the prime material we have for Gregs views on Carmanian sorcery, we felt that the Carmanians were not Malkioni as they consider him (Malkion) to be a servant of the Lie, though they have corrupted his name to Fronalko over the centuries.

Plainly you must have read this piece but how you have interpreted their evident hatred of Malkion to mean that they are still Malkioni is beyond me. Aside from the Wane Histories and the work in FS, we have nothing on the Carmanians and even those works contain nothing detailed on the actual evolution of their religion. Only the essay in Enclosure I has anything on it and it seems clear in all respects.

It also seems clear that the new religion was "revolutionary" which means radically different from their old faith and new. It is specifically stated as being dualistic, which the Malkioni are NOT, so again, this leads me to think that they are not Malkioni.

I know you and Nick disagree, but the article seems pretty open and shut to me as to how they feel about Malkion, in two places, Greg states that he is the god of Evil sorcery.

So I suppose the question is, why are we so radically apart in our interpretations of this fact? Perhaps if we could find that out, we could resolve our differences on it.

All of our other disagreements on caste stem from this fundamental disagreement on thier religious evolution, so if we can deal with that, the rest should follow.

Martin Laurie