Re: Re: Digest Number 756

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 08:50:23 +0000

>some calendar would be great, that shows the activities of a person
>through the hours/days/week/months. just one, maybe an orlanthi and THEN
>one could relate this to the other cults fairly easy.

It takes a little digging, but the religious calender can be used for this. Many of the cult ceremonies are tied to yearly events (first rain, harvest, etc.) so a broad outline of the clans year in mundane terms can be built up fairly easily. Daily tasks, I suspect, are both too varied and too boring to detail. Get up, eat breakfast, work in fields, eat lunch, work in fields, eat dinner, drink, tell stories, sleep.

>although I think that John Hughes' steadproject could fill some of the
>gaps [for me],

Thunder Rebels does describe a typical stead house, describes the buildings at a typical stead, and states that steads are normally laid out to match Orlanth's stead in the Storm Realm (a map of which is included). Sure, a detailed a example - such as John is planning - will help us all, but basic details are available in Thunder Rebels.

>I would like to have seen this kind of information in the "official"
>books. especially for newbies this would be a better way than to say "read
>KoS, play KoDP, and for more information ask the groups"...

To be fair, this was more common advice before Thunder Rebels came out. The books do go a long way to describing the mundane life of heortlings - far better than most of KoS. Report on the Orlanthi is still the best official example of a typical tribe, and, again, more examples would be helpful. Although, probably less so if you want to play in the Lismelder and the example is the Aranwyth... Of course, KoS is an official book as well - though tough enough going that it shouldn't be required to run a game.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson