Re: Relativism and other stuff

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:26:56 -0000

> That out of the way, it's the little things that have caused me
> problems. If I wanted to see the show and I don't have any chickens
> how do I get change for a cow?. Is my son a Carl, too?. Is my
wife?.
> If a cottar has a flock of sheep why does he work for me?. How is
he
> paid?. I know all this is somewhere in Thunder Rebels but I can
never
> work fast enough to get all of it into my head at the same time.
> There's nothing for it but to work it out in play.

One th one hand, Glorantha is no more alien in many of these respects than many ancient real-world cultures. In fact many still extant tribal cultures come to that.

On the other hand, why not play Lunars? Theirs is a progressive, modernising culture with a thriving cash economy and widespread literacy (comparatively, at least). They even have a vaguely recognisable legal system, and for a quick approximation Roman culture is much better documented than the Celts or Vikings.

Why bother trying to understand these ignorant country hicks, when you can give them a good kicking instead.

All Hail the Civilised Moon!

Simon Hibbs