Write!

From: theunspokenword <hia15_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 12:30:01 -0000

Issaries wants to publish, and will do everything it can to support HW and Glorantha with high quality products. If they get the right manuscripts, they will want to publish them.

However, there will also be other works which don't fit with the Issaries product line but are of a quality and an interest that merits a wider audience.

One option, as many people on this list have, is to use the net to make it available to the wider world. It's cheap, flexible, easily accessible. It has some downsides, not least in that it simply transfers some costs to those who end up having to print material out, and not everyone uses the net. However, everyone who provides interesting, usable and thought-provoking HW/Glorantha material is doing a great service. (And special kudos must go to people like Wesley Quadros, Nick Brooke and John Hughes who also use their sites to showcase others' work and ideas.)

Then there are also fan publishers. I hate that name myself, as it carries connotations of enthusiastic but shoddy amateurism, but that's my amour propre speaking. Moon Designs, Tradetalk and the Unspoken Word are all out there. At UW, we are working with Harald Smith and Martin Crim to bring their lovingly-crafted Imther to you, UW3 will be a Far Point special, with scenarios, maps, a stead and other locations (BTW, UW2 was delayed by Uz, but is now at the layout/final art stage), and we are talking and working with other authors on interesting projects. We are always looking for interesting ideas, ranging from the offer of a full manuscript through to general enquiries. But this is not simply an advert for UW: look at Rick's work on bringing Balazar and Pavis to a new market, or TT's support for Ian Thompson's explorations of Pavis. There are all sorts of opportunities out there.

Not everyone has the time, ability or inclination to write, and that's fine. It's also entirely legitimate to point out the flaws in existing works, albeit ideally in a positive spirit, to help make sure it's done better next time. *But*, those of you who are thinking not just 'this is what should be published' but also 'and I could do it' - well, then *do* it!

(Well, I suppose this should *also* be an advert for UW - remember our fine magazine, the Uz book, the European print versions of the Pre-Finished Works and the glorious Lunar Map- see http://www.celticwebs. com/theunspokenword for details. And if you want to pitch an idea for a book to us, email me at Mark_at_... .)

All the best

Mark

Mark Galeotti